Beides gilt mir einerlei
Language: German (Deutsch)
Alle meine Jugendzeit
Bin ich Lüsten nachgegangen,
Um danach voll Düsterkeit
Leid und Schmerzen nachzuhangen.
Schmerz und Lüste sind mir nun
Ganz verschwistert und durchdrungen;
Ob sie wohl, ob wehe tun,
Beides ist in eins verschlungen.
Ob mich Gott durch Höllenschrei,
Ob durch Sonnenhimmel führe,
Beides gilt mir einerlei,
Wenn ich seine Hand nur spüre.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 214.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Walter Kraft (1905 - 1977), "Beides gilt mir einerlei", published 1948 [mixed chorus a cappella], from Zehn Lieder für gemischten Chor, no. 3. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Walter Müller von Kulm (1899 - 1967), "Beides gilt mir einerlei", op. 9 no. 3, published 1948 [voice and piano], from Sieben Lieder nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 3. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karl Franz Schwarz , "Beides gilt mir einerlei", 1948 [voice and piano (or orchestra?)], from Musik des Einsamen, no. 14. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Both are the same to me", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "C'est pour moi indifférent", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2009-05-20 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2018-07-12 12:13:29
Line count: 12
Word count: 55
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Both are the same to me
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Throughout my youth
I went after pleasures,
Afterwards, full of gloom,
To indulge in sorrow and pain.
For me, pain and pleasures are now
Completely related and interpenetrated;
Whether they make me feel good or hurt me,
Both have become entwined into a single thing.
Whether God leads me through the screams of hell
Or through sunny heavens,
Both are the same to me
As long as I only feel His hand.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Beides gilt mir einerlei", written 1913 FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Walter Kraft, Walter Müller von Kulm, Karl Franz Schwarz. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2017-02-16 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2017-02-16 19:16:38
Line count: 12
Word count: 72