Language: German (Deutsch)
Die dunklen Büsche duften schwer,
Es wiegt der Wind in den Platanen
Die bunten Lampen hin und her,
Vom Dache rauschen rote Fahnen.
Juchhe! nun lodert alle Lust
Empor in grellen Flammen.
Nun brennt in deiner schönen Brust
Das Schloß der Liebe zusammen.
Juchhe! Nun bin ich zum letztenmal
An deiner heißen Seite
Und gebe durch den hellen Saal
Dir lachend das Geleite.
Und morgen ist der Rausch verloht
Und die Walzer sind verklungen,
Und unsre schöne Liebe ist tot
Und unsere Märchen versungen.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 79-80.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "The celebration", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "La fête", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2009-05-14.
Last modified: 2018-08-11 12:00:46
Line count: 16
Word count: 84
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
The dark bushes give forth their scent heavily,
In the plane trees the wind sways
The colourful lamps back and forth,
From the rooftop red flags rustle.
Hooray! now all joy flares
Up in lurid flames.
Now within your lovely breast
The entire castle of love burns.
Hooray! now for the last time
I am at your fervent side
And through the bright hall
I laughingly escort you.
And tomorrow the rush shall have died away
And the sound of the waltzes faded,
And our beautiful love shall be dead
And our fairy-tales sung out.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Das Fest", written 1901 FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Kurt Hessenberg. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2017-04-29.
Last modified: 2017-04-29 14:35:49
Line count: 16
Word count: 95