Language: German (Deutsch)
Hört ihr im Laube des Regens starke Schläge?
Höret ihr brechen die Aest' im Sturmgefege?
Hört ihr doch drinnen der Vöglein süsse Kehlen
Preisend der Liebe des Herrn sich anempfehlen!
Seht ihr im Lande der Zwietracht Fackel lodern?
Hört ihr den Frevel das Recht zum Kampfe fodern?
Drum mit des Herzens Gewalt friedvoller Lieder
Zaubert das wilde Geschrei des Wahnsinns nieder!
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with: Welt und Herz. Dichtungen von Wilfried von der Neun, zweite Auflage, Leipzig: F.A. Brockhaus, 1856, page 9.
Submitted by Ted Perry
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Gesungen!", op. 96 (Lieder und Gesänge für Singstimme und Klavier (Heft 4)) no. 4 (1850), published 1851 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Whistling [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Zingen!", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Sung!", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "En chantant !", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2015-04-10 19:10:51
Line count: 8
Word count: 61
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Do you hear the rain's powerful blows in the foliage?
Do you hear the branches breaking in the sweeping storm?
Yet you also hear in [the tree] the sweet singing of the little birds
Entrusting themselves with praise to the love of the Lord!
Do you see the torches of dissension flaming in the land?
Do you hear Iniquity summon Right to battle?
Therefore with the power of your heart's peaceful songs
Magically subdue the wild cries of insanity!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2015-04-10.
Last modified: 2015-04-10 19:09:32
Line count: 8
Word count: 79