That I did always love
That I did always love,
I bring thee proof:
That till I loved
I did not love enough.
That I shall love alway,
I offer thee
That love is life,
And life hath immortality.
This, dost thou doubt, sweet?
Then have I
Nothing to show
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Jake Heggie (b. 1961), "That I did always love", first performed 2014 [soprano, piano], from Newer Every Day: Songs for Kiri, no. 4. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Peter Mennin (1923 - 1983), "That I did always love", published 1979 [SSA chorus, harp, piano, and percussion], from Reflections of Emily [ sung text not verified ]
- by Thomas Pasatieri (b. 1945), "That I did always love", published 1976 [soprano, clarinet, violin, violoncello, and piano], from Far from love, no. 7. [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Que j'ai toujours aimé", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:26
Line count: 12
Word count: 47
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Que j'ai toujours aimé
Language: French (Français) after the English
Que j'ai toujours aimé,
Je t'en apporte la Preuve
Que jusqu'à ce que j'aime
Je n'ai jamais vécu — c'est Assez —
Que j'aimerai toujours —
Je t'en persuade
Que l'amour est la vie —
Et que la vie a l'Immortalité —
Ceci — si tu en doutes — Chéri —
Alors je n'ai
Rien à montrer
Si ce n'est mon Calvaire —
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from English to French (Français) copyright © 2018 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2018-03-14 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2018-03-14 13:20:23
Line count: 12
Word count: 63