Language: German (Deutsch)
Ferneher der Donner ruft,
Schwarze Wolkenmänner jagen
Stöhnend durch die schwüle Luft
Und der Wald beginnt zu klagen.
Einsam durch das weite Feld
Kommt ein Pilger hergeschritten,
Einer, der im Kampf der Welt
Schmach und Wunden viel erlitten.
Zitternd knistert Zweig und Laub,
Schwüler wird die Luft und gelber,
Dick in Wolken fliegt der Staub,
Und der Pilger bin ich selber.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 101.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Pilgrim", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Pèlerin", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2009-06-18.
Last modified: 2018-08-31 17:14:02
Line count: 12
Word count: 61
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Thunder calls from far away,
Black cloud-men scud,
Moaning, through the humid air
And the forest begins to lament.
Solitary through the broad field
A pilgrim comes a-striding,
One who in the battle of the world
Has suffered much humiliation and many wounds.
Trembling, branch and foliage rustle,
The air becomes more humid and more yellow,
The dust flies thickly in clouds,
And I myself am the pilgrim.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Pilger", subtitle: "(1901)", written 1901 FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Werner Wehrli. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2018-05-19.
Last modified: 2018-05-19 10:29:39
Line count: 12
Word count: 68