Language: German (Deutsch)
Meine Liebe ist ein stilles Boot,
Das mit träumerischen Ruderschlägen,
Einer dunklen Brandung treibt entgegen.
Meine Liebe ist ein jähes Licht,
Das durch schwarze, schwüle Nächte bricht
Und unselig wie ein Blitz verloht.
Meine Liebe ist ein krankes Kind,
Das bei Nacht in seinem Bette sinnt;
Und am Rand des Bettes steht der Tod.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 103.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Parables", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Allégories", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2009-05-24.
Last modified: 2018-05-30 11:20:44
Line count: 9
Word count: 54
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
My love is a quiet boat
That, with dreamy oar-strokes,
Floats toward a dark surf.
My love is a sudden light
That breaks through black, humid nights
And blazes out as evilly as a bolt of lightning.
My love is a sick child
That ponders in his bed at night;
And at the edge of the bed stands death.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Gleichnisse", written 1901 FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Georg Meerwein, Franz Xaver Zintl. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2018-06-18.
Last modified: 2018-06-18 18:15:10
Line count: 9
Word count: 59