Language: German (Deutsch)
Es wehet kühl und leise
Die Luft durch dunkle Auen,
Und nur der Himmel lächelt
Aus tausend hellen Augen.
Es regt nur Eine Seele
Sich in [der Meere]1 Brausen,
Und in den leisen Worten,
Die durch die Blätter rauschen.
So tönt in Welle Welle,
Wo Geister heimlich trauren;
So folgen Worte Worten,
Wo Geister Leben hauchen.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraume
[Ein]2 leiser Ton gezogen,
Für den, der heimlich lauschet.
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG FRE
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Musen-Almanach für das Jahr 1802. Herausgegeben von A. W. Schlegel und L. Tieck. Tübingen, in der Cotta'schen Buchhandlung, 1802, page 156; and with Friedrich Schlegel's sämmtliche Werke. Erster Band. Gedichte. Berlin, bei Julius Eduard Hitzig, 1809, page 33.
1 Schubert: "des Meeres"
2 Schubert: "Ein, nur ein"
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Els matossars", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "De bosjes", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , "The undergrowth", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Les buissons", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-10-12 12:22:55
Line count: 16
Word count: 72
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
There is a cool and gentle movement
In the air going across the dark meadows,
And only the sky smiles
From a thousand bright eyes.
Only a single soul is stirring
In the roaring of the sea,
And in the gentle words
Which are rustling through the leaves.
Thus wave echoes wave
Where spirits grieve in secret;
Thus words follow words,
Where spirits breathe life.
Resounding amongst all the notes
In the colourful dreams of earth,
A single faint note rings out
For the person who is secretly paying attention.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2018-08-24.
Last modified: 2018-08-24 13:17:09
Line count: 16
Word count: 90