Language: German (Deutsch)
Im alten loderlohen Glanze,
In aller schwelgerischen Pracht
Steigt heute vor dir auf der ganze
Traum jener schwülen Sommernacht.
Und zitternd in verträumten Lüsten
Drückst du verzweifelt, heiß und wild
Die vollen, schönen, oftgeküßten,
Blutroten Lippen auf mein Bild.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 47.
Submitted by Ferdinando Albeggiani and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Anniversary", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Anniversaire", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2009-04-29.
Last modified: 2018-09-01 17:22:20
Line count: 8
Word count: 39
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
In the old wildly flaming radiance,
In all the opulent splendour,
Today before you rises the entire dream of
That humid summer night.
And trembling in dreamy passions,
Despairing, hotly and wildly, you
Press your full, beautiful, oft-kissed
Blood-red lips upon my picture.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Jahrestag", written 1899 FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Othmar Schoeck. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2018-10-08.
Last modified: 2018-10-08 05:04:31
Line count: 8
Word count: 43