Oh wert thou in the cauld blast
Language: Scottish (Scots)
O wert thou in the cauld blast
On yonder lea,
My plaidie to the angry airt,
I'd shelter thee:
Or did misfortune's bitter storms
Around thee blaw,
Thy bield should be my bosom
To share it a'; to share it a'.
Or were I in the wildest waste,
Sae black and bare,
The desert were a paradise
If thou wert there.
Or were I monarch of the globe,
Wi' thee to reign,
The brightest jewel in my crown
Wad be my Queen, wad be my Queen.
Translation(s): FRE GER GER RUS SWE
List of language codes
View text with footnotes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
[ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in Swedish (Svenska), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist RUS GER FRE GER by Hugo Alfvén.
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Samuil Yakovlevich Marschak (1887 - 1964) GER FRE SWE GER by Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich, Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich, Georgiy Vasil'yevich Sviridov, Tikhon Nikolayevich Khrennikov.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Ferdinand Freiligrath (1810 - 1876) , no title, from Gedichte, in Robert Burns. Elf Lieder [later 13 Lieder], no. 3 DUT RUS FRE SWE by Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, Robert Franz, Adolf Jensen, Carl Kloberg, Felix von Woyrsch, Heinrich August Marschner.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist RUS FRE SWE by Moritz Hauptmann.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2003-11-19.
Last modified: 2016-08-12 09:27:23
Line count: 16
Word count: 86
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works