If the day is done
Language: English after the Bangla (Bengali)
If the day is done,
if birds sing no more,
if the wind has flagged tired,
then draw the veil of darkness thick upon me,
even as thou hast wrapt the earth
with the coverlet of sleep
and tenderly closed the petals
of the drooping lotus at dusk.
From the traveller,
whose sack of provisions is empty
before the voyage is ended,
whose garment is torn and dustladen,
whose strength is exhausted,
remove shame and poverty,
and renew his life like a flower
under the cover of thy kindly night.
Translation(s): FRE GER GER SPA SWE
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
[ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages:
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by André Gide (1869 - 1951) , no title, from Gitanjali (L'Offrande lyrique), published 1914 ENG GER SPA SWE GER by Jean-Émile-Paul Cras, Gary Bachlund.
- Also set in Spanish (Español), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist , title unknown ENG FRE GER SWE GER by Manuel M. Ponce.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist , title unknown ENG FRE SPA SWE by Hanns Eisler.
- Also set in Swedish (Svenska), a translation by Andrea Butenschön (1866 - 1948) , title unknown, published 1915 ENG FRE GER SPA GER by Edvin Kallstenius.
Other available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- SWE Swedish (Svenska) (Andrea Butenschön) , title unknown, published 1915
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title unknown, copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2004-01-17.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:03
Line count: 16
Word count: 90
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works