Si tout ceci n'est qu'un pauvre rêve, et...
Language: French (Français)
Si tout ceci n'est qu'un pauvre rêve, et s'il faut
que j'ajoute dans ma vie, une fois encore,
la désillusion aux désillusions ;
et, si je dois encore, par ma sombre folie,
chercher dans la douceur du vent et de la pluie
les seules vaines voix qui m'aient en passion :
je ne sais si je guérirai, ô mon amie...
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Michel Bosc (b. 1963), "Si tout ceci", 1999 [high voice, flute, and piano], from Tristesses, no. 10. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Lili Boulanger (1893 - 1918), "Si tout ceci n'est qu'un pauvre rêve", 1914, published 1919 [high voice and piano or orchestra], from Clairières dans le ciel, no. 6, Ricordi [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Albert Dupuis (1877 - 1967), "Si tout ceci n'est qu'un pauvre rêve", published 1921 [medium voice and piano], from Douze mélodies, no. 10, Bruxelles (Brussels), Éd. J.B. Katto, Antoine Ysaye & Co. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Louis Durey (1888 - 1979), "Si tout ceci n'est qu'un pauvre rêve", op. 3 (Cinq poèmes) no. 5 (1914). [voice and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Faith J. Cormier) , title 1: "If all were naught but a poor dream", copyright © 2003, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-07-12 16:00:43
Line count: 7
Word count: 60
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
If all were naught but a poor dream
Language: English after the French (Français)
If all were naught but a poor dream,
and if I had to pile
disillusionment on disillusionment in my life,
and if in my shadowy madness I again had
to look to the sweetness of wind and rain
to find the only vain voices that love me passionately,
I don't know if I would ever get better, sweetheart...
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2003 by Faith J. Cormier, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2004-01-27 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:04
Line count: 7
Word count: 58