Language: German (Deutsch)
Holde Königin der Geigen,
der die Liebe Namen lieh,
Liebe spielt dich zart und eigen,
lockt und löst aus Traum und Schweigen
Liebesgeige, alles schönen,
alles tiefsten Zaubers reich,
Schmerz und Schmerzen zu versöhnen,
stimmst du mit den Silbertönen
Herz zu Herzen weich.
Und ich hör' dein Liedchen singen,
wie ein Hauch, ein Seufzer nur,
schwirrt es, und die Lüfte klingen
zärtlich unter seinen Schwingen,
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , title 1: "Viola d'amour", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Viole d'amour", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:28
Line count: 15
Word count: 69
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Fair queen of the fiddles
who borrowed the name of love,
Love plays you. Tenderly and strangely,
out of dreams and silence, it lures and releases
Love's fiddle, rich in everything beautiful,
rich in deepest magic,
atoning for pain and wounds,
you speak with silver tones
to soften hearts.
And I hear your song singing,
like a breath, like a sigh now,
it buzzes, and the breezes resound
softly under its wings,
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2005 by Malcolm Wren, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Gustav Falke (1853 - 1916), "Viola d'amour" FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Hermann von Glenck, Max Reger. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2005-04-11.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:13
Line count: 15
Word count: 76