Remember me when I am gone away
Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you planned:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.
Translation(s): GER ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco (1895 - 1968), "Remember me", published 1952 [SSA chorus and piano], from Four Christina Rossetti Settings [ sung text not verified ]
- by Bainbridge Crist (1883 - 1969), "Remember", published 1930. [high voice, violin obbligato, orchestra] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Richard Hageman (1882 - 1966), "Into the silent land", published 1944. [high voice, piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Fritz Bennicke Hart (1874 - 1949), "Remember", op. 114 (Three Sonnets for Voice and Pianoforte) no. 2 (1935). [voice and piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Elaine Hugh-Jones (b. 1927), "Remember" [voice and piano], from The Silent Land: Two Poems by Christina Rossetti, no. 1. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Robert Hugill , "Remember" [mezzo-soprano, viola, piano], from Quickening, no. 4. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Leonard J[ordan] Lehrman (b. 1949), "Remember me when I am gone away", alternate title: "Sonnetina #7", op. 66. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Kurt List (b. 1913), "Remember", <<1956, first performed 1955 [chorus], madrigal [ sung text not verified ]
- by Landon Ronald, Sir (1873 - 1938), "Remember", published 1915. [voice, piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Daniel Ruyneman (1886 - 1963), "Remember", published 1949 [voice and piano], from Seven Melodies [ sung text not verified ]
- by Halsey Stevens (1908 - 1989), "Sonnet", 1947. [low voice, piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Halsey Stevens (1908 - 1989), "Remember me", published 1973. [TTB chorus a cappella] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Bryceson Treharne (1879 - 1948), "Remember me when I am gone away", published <<1940. [medium voice, piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Owen Underhill (b. 1954), "Remember", 2007. [mezzo-soprano and flute] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Rudolph T. Werther (1896 - 1986), "Remember me", 1945-70. [voice, piano] [ sung text not verified ]
- by Richard Willis, Dr. (b. 1929), "Remember", published 1954. [SSA chorus a cappella] [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Gedenke mein", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Ricordati di me quando andrò via lontano", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2006-02-02T00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16T10:02:17
Line count: 14
Word count: 111
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Ricordati di me quando andrò via lontano
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the English
Ricordati di me quando andrò via lontano,
lontano verso il paese del silenzio,
quando più non potrai prendermi per mano,
né più ritornerò né mi volgerò indietro.
Ricordati di me quando più non potrai
Parlarmi ancora dei giorni a venire.
Ricordami soltanto; allora capirai
Che sarà troppo tardi per consigli o preghiere.
E se per qualche istante mi avrai dimenticato
Per poi pensarmi ancora, non te ne crucciare:
Perché se buio e corruzione un eco hanno destato
Di quei tristi pensieri che un giorno mi toccò avere,
Meglio sarà per te, sorridendo, scordarmi
Piuttosto che in tristezza ripensarmi.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from English to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2006 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in English by Christina Georgina Rossetti (1830 - 1894), "Remember", appears in Goblin Market and other Poems, first published 1862 GER
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Bainbridge Crist, Richard Hageman, Fritz Bennicke Hart, Elaine Hugh-Jones, Robert Hugill, Leonard J[ordan] Lehrman, Kurt List, Landon Ronald, Sir, Daniel Ruyneman, Halsey Stevens, Bryceson Treharne, Owen Underhill, Rudolph T. Werther, Richard Willis, Dr.. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2006-03-28T00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16T10:02:18
Line count: 14
Word count: 98