Death is a cool and peaceful night
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Death is a cool and peaceful night
. . . . . . . . . .
[--- The rest of this text is not
currently in the database but will be
added as soon as we obtain it. ---]
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Heinrich Heine (1797 - 1856), appears in Buch der Lieder, in Die Heimkehr, no. 87, first published 1826/7 DUT FIN FRE GRE HEB ITA SPA
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Károly Aggházy, Frances Allitsen, née Bumpus, Albert Felix, Graf Amadei, Fritz Arlberg, Gary Bachlund, Victor Emanuel Bendix, Walter Michael Berten, Leo Blech, Heinrich Böie, Johannes Brahms, Stephanie Brand-Vrabely, Gräfin Wurmbrand, Th. Bredsdorff, Otto Breve, August Bungert, Robert Caby, Peter Cornelius, Hermann Drechsler, Edward Baxter Felton, Gustav Adolf Fischer, Ernst Frank, Leo Franz, Paul Geisler, J. von Harder, Ch. de Harrack, Gustav Hasse, Robert Hermann, Caspar René Hirschfeld, Wilhelm Killmayer, Arno Kleffel, Otto Klemperer, Armin Knab, Max Kowalski, M. J. Kremer, Samuel de Lange, Rued Langgaard, Eduard Lassen, F. Lemmer, Henk Luymes, Siegfried Matthus, Erkki Gustaf Melartin, Erik Meyer-Helmund, Max Reger, Adolf Reichel, Chr. Ricard, Louis Sauguer, Apolinary Scheluta, Johannes Schild, Carl Julius Schmidt, Nikolay Vladimirovich Shcherbachev, Hedwig Sonntag, Fritz Steinbach, Nisse Strandberg, Friedrich Hieronymus Truhn, Carl Turban, Johann Vesque von Püttlingen, Konstantin Petrovich Vil'boa, Karl Weigl, Healey Willan. Go to the text.
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist DUT FIN FRE GRE HEB ITA SPA ; composed by Paul Ambrose.
- Also set in English, a translation by Henry Grafton Chapman (1860 - 1913) DUT FIN FRE GRE HEB ITA SPA ; composed by Theodore Paxson.
- Also set in English, a translation by Louise Bogan (1897 - 1970) DUT FIN FRE GRE HEB ITA SPA ; composed by David Rakowski.
- Also set in English, a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist DUT FIN FRE GRE HEB ITA SPA ; composed by Nancy Hayes Van de Vate.
- Also set in English, adapted by J. Snodgrass , "Der Tod, das ist die kühle Nacht", appears in Poems Selected from Heinrich Heine, ed. by Kate Freiligrath Kroeker, London: Walter Scott, Limited, pages 122-123, first published 1887 DUT FIN FRE GRE HEB ITA SPA ; composed by Healey Willan.
- Also set in English, a translation by Theodore Martin, Sir, KCB KCVO (1816 - 1909) , "Der Tod, das ist die kühle Nacht" DUT FIN FRE GRE HEB ITA SPA ; composed by Frances Allitsen, née Bumpus.
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by Maurice Dufresne (d. 1953) DUT ENG ENG ENG ENG ENG FIN GRE HEB ITA SPA ; composed by Tibor Harsányi.
- Also set in Swedish (Svenska), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist DUT ENG ENG ENG ENG ENG FIN FRE GRE HEB ITA SPA ; composed by Oscar Blom.
Text added to the website: 2007-10-13 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:29
Line count: 0
Word count: 0
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works