Language: Italian (Italiano)
ch'en su l'erbetta
apre al mattin novella
di' non è cosa
tutta leggiadra e bella?
elle ne spira odori
e n'empie il petto
di bel diletto
col bel de suoi colori.
Translation(s): ENG GER
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "The violet", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "Das Veilchen", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2008-01-31.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:35
Line count: 12
Word count: 38
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the Italian (Italiano)
coming up in the meads
blooms in the young morn --
say, isn't it
graceful and lovely?
Yes, for certain
breathes out its fragrance
and fills the heart
of the beloved one
with the beauty of its hues.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2008 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann. Contact:
<BKottmann (AT) t-online.de>
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Gabriello Chiabrera (1552 - 1638), "La violetta" GER
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Antonio Cifra, Claudio Monteverdi. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2008-02-25.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:37
Line count: 12
Word count: 43