Über die Berge
Language: German (Deutsch)
Über die Berge
Zieht ihr fort;
Kommt an manchen
Es muß so seyn.
Was man liebt,
[O]1 wie wird
Das Herz betrübt!
[Wald und Hügel,
Was man liebt,
O wie wird
Das Herz betrübt!]3
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Gedichte von Johann Mayrhofer. Wien. Bey Friedrich Volke. 1824, pages 15-16.
Note: Schubert received Mayrhofer's texts generally in handwriting; the printed edition of Mayrhofer's poems appeared much later and presents the texts usually in a revised version.
1 Schubert: "Ach"
2 Schubert: "O Seenspiegel, / Wald und Hügel"
3 Schubert: "Lebt wohl! / Klingt klagevoll. / Ach wie wird / Das Herz betrübt! / Scheiden, / Meiden, / Was man liebt."
Submitted by Richard Morris and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Comiat", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Afscheid", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Farewell", copyright ©
- ENG English (Malcolm Wren) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Adieu", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Addio", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-08-08 15:22:49
Line count: 24
Word count: 55
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the German (Deutsch)
Te ne vai via per i monti
In molti luoghi di verde ricoperti;
Debbo tornare tutto solo,
Addio! E' questo il mio destino.
Separarsi, lasciare chi si vuole bene,
Oh, al cuore porta tante pene!
Il lago limpido, il bosco, la collina sembra svanire;
E l'eco della tua voce sento scomparire.
Addio! Risuona un lamento,
Oh, al cuore porta tanto tormento,
Separarsi, lasciare chi si ama;
Addio! Come un lamento risuona.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
Note: this is a translation of Schubert's version.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2009 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2009-03-09.
Last modified: 2017-08-08 15:25:57
Line count: 12
Word count: 71