Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Ô les passions en allées, Et les rires et les sanglots! Malades et les yeux mi-clos Parmi les feuilles effeuillées, Les chiens jaunes de mes péchés, Les hyènes louches de mes haines, Et sur l'ennui pâle des plaines Les lions de l'amour couchés! En l'impuissance de leur rêve Et languides sous la langueur De leur ciel morne et sans couleur, Elles regarderont sans trève Les brebis des tentations S'éloigner lentes, une à une, En l'immobile clair de lune, Mes immobiles passions.
- by Maurice Maeterlinck (1862 - 1949), "Fauves las", appears in Serres chaudes, Paris, Éd. Léon Vanier, first published 1889 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ernest Amédée Chausson (1855 - 1899), "Fauves las", op. 24 no. 4 (1896), published 1910 [medium voice and piano], from Serres Chaudes, no. 4. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sophie Huet) , "Lazy Beasts", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-05-01 14:49:23
Line count: 16
Word count: 81
O the passions on the paths, The laughs and cries! Sick and half -- closed eyes Among fallen leaves, Yellow dogs of my sins, Suspicious hyenas of my hatreds And on the pale boredom of the plains Lay the lions of love! In the impotence of dreams Languid beneath the spell Of their plain and colorless sky They will stare without blinking At the tempting goats Slowly leaving one by one In the motionless moonlight My motionless passions!
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2009 by Sophie Huet, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Sophie Huet.  Contact: sophiehuet (AT) gmail (DOT) comIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in French (Français) by Maurice Maeterlinck (1862 - 1949), "Fauves las", appears in Serres chaudes, Paris, Éd. Léon Vanier, first published 1889
Text added to the website: 2009-04-15 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:11
Line count: 16
Word count: 77