Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Astern blühen schon im Garten, Schwächer trifft der Sonnenpfeil; Blumen, die den Tod erwarten Durch des Frostes Henkerbeil. Brauner dunkelt längst die Haide, Blätter zittern durch die Luft, Und es liegen Wald und Weide Unbewegt in blauem Duft. Pfirsich an der Gartenmauer, Kranich auf der Winterflucht. Herbstes Freuden, Herbstes Trauer, Welke Rosen, reife Frucht.
- by Detlev von Liliencron (1844 - 1909), "Herbst", appears in Adjudantenritte [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Siegmund von Hausegger (1872 - 1948), "Herbst", published 1898 [medium voice and piano], from the collection Lieder und Gesänge für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte, no. 2, Berlin, Ries & Erler [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (Walter A. Aue) , title 1: "Autumn", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Automne", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Peter Donderwinkel
Asters in the garden blooming, weaker strikes each ray of sun flowers that are death assuming once the hoarfrosts have begun. Darker turns the heather, dying; leaves are trembling through and through, and the fields and woods are lying silent in the fragrant blue. Peaches on the wall like treasures, cranes that fore the winter scoot. Autumn's sadness, autumn's pleasures: Faded roses, ripened fruit.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2010 by Walter A. Aue, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Walter A. Aue.  Contact: waue (AT) dal (DOT) caIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Detlev von Liliencron (1844 - 1909), "Herbst", appears in Adjudantenritte