Heil'ge Nacht, du sinkest nieder
Language: German (Deutsch)
Heil'ge Nacht, du sinkest nieder;
Nieder wallen auch die Träume,
Wie dein [Licht]1 durch [diese Bäume]2,
[Lieblich durch der Menschen]3 Brust;
Die belauschen sie mit Lust,
Rufen, wenn der Tag erwacht:
Kehre wieder [heil'ge]4 Nacht,
Holde Träume kehret wieder.
Translation(s): CAT CHI DUT ENG FRE IRI ITA NOR SPA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Matthäus Edlen von Collin's nachgelassene Gedichte, ausgewählt und mit einem biographischen Vorworte begleitet von Joseph von Hammer. Zweytes Bändchen. Wien. Gedruckt und im Verlage bey Carl Gerold. 1827, page 149.
Note: Schubert received Collin's poem in handwritten form. It was later published (posthumously) in a slightly different version, with the title Nachtfeyer, together with another version of the same poem, titled Nacht und Träume, which has also been incorporated in Collin's dramatic fragment Fortunats Abfahrt von Cypern; see below.
1 Schubert: "Mondlicht"
2 Schubert: "die Räume"
3 Schubert: "Durch der Menschen stille"
4 Schubert: "holde"
Submitted by David Gordon and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Michael Brough (b. 1960), "Nacht und Träume", op. 8 (Elf Lieder) no. 6 (1995-6). [voice and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Robert Emmerich (1836 - 1891), "Nacht und Träume", op. 42 (Fünf Gesänge für gemischte Chor) no. 5, published 1874 [SATB chorus a cappella], Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Nacht und Träume", op. 43 (Zwei Lieder) no. 2, D. 827 (1822?), published 1825. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Another version of this text exists in the database.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- CHI Chinese (中文) (Yen-Chiang Che) , "夜與夢", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Nacht en dromen", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (David Gordon) , no title, copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- IRI Irish (Gaelic) [singable] (Gabriel Rosenstock) , "Oíche is brionglóidí", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Notte e sogni", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , "Natt og drømmer", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Martin Zubiria) , "Noche y ensueños", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2019-01-22 11:25:11
Line count: 8
Word count: 39
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Natt og drømmer
Language: Norwegian (Bokmål) after the German (Deutsch)
Hellige natt, nå synker du ned;
Ned flyter også drømmene,
som ditt måneskinn gjennom verdensrommet
gjennom menneskets stille bryst.
De lytter til deg med glede;
roper - når dagen våkner:
Kom tilbake, hellige natt!
Vakre drømmer - kom tilbake!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Norwegian (Bokmål) copyright © 2010 by Marianne Beate Kielland, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2010-10-18.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:03
Line count: 8
Word count: 39