Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
In Gottes Namen aufstehn, gegen Gott gehen, gegen Gott treten, zum himmlischen Vater beten, daß er uns verleih lieb Englein drei: der erste, der uns weist, der zweite, der uns speist, der dritt, der uns behüt und bewahrt, daß uns an Leib und Seel nichts widerfahrt.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Peter Rosegger (1843 - 1918), no title, appears in Als ich noch der Waldbauernbub war, in Chapter 23, "In der Christnacht", first published 1902 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Anton von Webern (1883 - 1945), "In Gottes Namen aufstehn", op. 15 no. 3 (1917-22) [soprano, flute, clarinet, bass clarinet, trumpet, harp, violin, and viola], from Fünf geistliche Lieder, no. 3. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Au nom de Dieu se lever", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , title 1: "In God's name, arise", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Jeroen Scholten
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:19
Line count: 10
Word count: 46
In God's name, arise, Venture toward God, Walk toward God, Pray to the heavenly father That he might bestow to us Three beloved spirits: The first, who guides us The second, who nourishes us The third, who guards and preserves us, That no misfortune befall body or soul.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Michael P. Rosewall, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Peter Rosegger (1843 - 1918), no title, appears in Als ich noch der Waldbauernbub war, in Chapter 23, "In der Christnacht", first published 1902
Text added to the website: 2011-01-24 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:13
Line count: 10
Word count: 48