Thy hand, Belinda, darkness shades me;
On thy bosom let me rest.
More I would, but death invades me:
Death is now a welcome guest.
When I am laid in earth,
May my wrongs create
No trouble in thy breast.
Remember me, but ah! forget my fate.
Translation(s): CAT FRE ITA SPA
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Pilar Lirio) , title 1: "Lamento de Dido", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Lamentation de Didon", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Lamento di Didone", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Robert Garrigós) , title 1: "Lament de Dido", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:51
Line count: 8
Word count: 47
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Lamento di Didone
Language: Italian (Italiano) after the English
La tua mano, Belinda, la tenebra mi abbuia,
lascia che sul tuo seno possa trovare riposo.
Di più avrei voluto, ma già morte m'invade:
morte che adesso è l'ospite più atteso.
Quando mi troverò sotto terra a giacere,
che, per gli errori miei, non sia destato
nell'animo tuo, rinnovato dolore.
Di me ricordati ma, ah! Dimentica il mio fato.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from English to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2011 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2011-04-24.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:20
Line count: 8
Word count: 59