Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Между небом и землёй Песня раздаётся, Неисходною струёй Громче громче льётся. Не видать певца полей! Где поёт так громко Над подруженькой своей Жаворонок звонкий. Ветер песенку несёт, А кому, не знает. Та, к кому она поймёт, От кого -- узнает! Лейся ж, песенка моя, Песнь надежды сладкой... Кто-то вспомнит про меня И вздохнёт украдкой.
Confirmed with Гори, гори, моя звезда!, many authors, 2019, viewed in Google Books. Note: the page with the publisher's name wasn't in the preview. We have added diaereses (often left out of printed Russian) for clarity.
Note on Transliterations
- by Nestor Vasil'yevich Kukol'nik (1809 - 1868), "Жаворонок", written 1840 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- possibly by P. Broun , "Жаворонок", note: this setting may be by a different Broun; the source indicated a surname alone [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka (1804 - 1857), "Жаворонок", 1840, from Proshchanije S. Peterburgom, no. 10 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Vladimir Ivanovich Rebikov (1866 - 1920), "Жаворонок", 1900 [ 2- or three-part chorus ] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Vladimir Timofeyevich Sokolov (1830 - 1890), "Жаворонок", 1870 [ duet ] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Aleksandr Yegorovich Varlamov (1801 - 1848), "Жаворонок", 1839 [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Joanna Hoffman) (Barbara Miller) , "The lark", copyright © 1997, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Leonard Lehrman) (Emily Lehrman) (Vanessa Bright) , "The lark", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2019-08-09 19:04:26
Line count: 16
Word count: 53
Between the sky and the earth A song is heard As an unending stream Flows louder, louder. Unseen is the singer in the field Where sings so loudly Above his mate The sonorous skylark. The wind carries the song, To whom, it does not know. The one to whom it is sung Will recognize whom it is from. Flow on, my song Of sweet hope Someone will remember me And sigh furtively.
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2013 by Leonard Lehrman and Emily Lehrman and Vanessa Bright, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., please ask the copyright-holder(s) directly.
Vanessa Bright.  Contact: vanessabright (AT) inbox (DOT) com
If the copyright-holder(s) are unreachable for three business days, please write to:
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Nestor Vasil'yevich Kukol'nik (1809 - 1868), "Жаворонок", written 1840
Text added to the website: 2013-06-22 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-08-09 18:41:40
Line count: 16
Word count: 72