The LiederNet Archive is the world’s largest reference archive of texts and translations of art songs and choral works.
We have been online since May 24, 1995.
181,612 vocal pieces have been catalogued.
39,088 translations are available.
The collection has frequent additions and updates (this month: 138 song texts, 228 settings, and 54 translations).
- Start with the Introduction and the Frequently Asked Questions.
- Browse by using the indexes of composers and text authors.
- Search for words or phrases, a surname, or a title or first line.
Examples of what you can find
- Some composer pages: Schubert | Coleridge-Taylor | Tchaikovsky (Чайковский) | Viardot
- Some author pages: Goethe | Hugo | Petrarca | Whitman
- Some text pages: Ich hab' im Traume geweinet (Heine) | Заклинание (Pushkin, set also in German and French) | Speak to me, my love! (Tagore) | L'invitation au Voyage (Baudelaire)
- A song cycle: Schubert's Die schöne Müllerin (Müller)
- A text collection: Heine's Lyrisches Intermezzo (in Buch der Lieder)
How to tell if you are looking at a composer's version of the text, the author's version, or both.