The LiederNet Archive is the world’s largest reference archive of texts and translations of art songs and choral works.
We have been online since May 24, 1995.
176,558 vocal pieces have been catalogued.
38,362 translations are available.
The collection has frequent additions and updates (this month: 390 song texts, 1106 settings, and 116 translations).
- Start with the Introduction and the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
- Browse the collection by using the indexes by composer or text author; or search for words or phrases, or search by surname or search by title or first line.
The following links will give you an idea of the type of information this website has to offer.
- Some composer pages: Schubert | Coleridge-Taylor | Tchaikovsky (Чайковский) | Viardot
- Some author pages: Goethe | Hugo | Petrarca | Whitman
- Some text pages: Ich hab' im Traume geweinet (Heine) | Заклинание (Pushkin, set also in German and French) | Speak to me, my love! (Tagore) | L'invitation au Voyage (Baudelaire)
- A song cycle page: Schubert's Die schöne Müllerin (Müller)
- A text collection page: Heine's collection Lyrisches Intermezzo (in Buch der Lieder)
Be sure to read this note about how to tell when a text shown is the sung text or the published stand-alone text or both.