Language: German (Deutsch)
Was zu glücklich, um zu leben,
Was zu scheu, um Klang zu geben,
Was zu lieblich zum Entstehen,
Was geboren zum Vergehen,
Was die Monde nimmer bieten,
Rosen aus verwelkten Blüten,
Tränen dann aus jungem Leide
Und ein Klang verlorner Freude.
Du weißt es, alle, die da sterben
Und die für immer scheiden gehn,
Die müssen, wär's auch zum Verderben,
Die Wahrheit ohne Hehl gestehn.
So leg ich's denn in deine Hände,
Was immer mir das Herz bewegt;
Es ist die letzte Blumenspende,
Auf ein geliebtes Grab gelegt.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
M. Bauer sets stanzas 2-3
List of language codes
Confirmed with Storms Werke, herausgegeben von Theodor Hertel, ertes Band, Mehers Klassiker-Ausgaben, Bibliographisches Institut, Leipzig und Wien, 1918, page 40.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Farewell", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Adieux", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2013-06-27.
Last modified: 2016-02-10 18:39:47
Line count: 19
Word count: 92
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
What is too happy to live,
What is too timid to give forth sound,
What is too lovely to have come into existence
What was born to pass away,
What the moons never offer,
Roses from withered blossoms,
Tears then from young grief
And a sound of lost joy.
You know it, all who die
And who go away from us forever,
They must, even if it were to their doom,
Acknowledge the truth without concealment.
Thus I place it it in your hands,
Everything that moves my heart;
It is the last gift of flowers
Laid upon a beloved grave.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Theodor Storm (1817 - 1888), "Abschied" FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Moritz Bauer. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2013-12-12.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:25
Line count: 19
Word count: 105