Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Peace is gone, gone, peace, my peace is gone
. . . . . . . . . .
[--- The rest of this text is not
currently in the database but will be
added as soon as we obtain it. ---]
This text may be protected by copyright under Canadian copyright law, so we will not display it until we obtain permission to do so or discover it is public-domain.
Source: Oxford Dictionary of Quotations, 3rd ed., 1979, Angela Partington, ed., Oxford University Press Inc, NY.
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author, copyright ©
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Faust, in Der Tragödie erster Teil (Part I), first published 1790 CAT DUT FRE GRE ITA ITA NOR RUS SPA
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Max Joseph Beer, Franz Aloys Theodor Commer, Friedrich Curschmann, Wilhelm Fritze, Gustav Heinrich Graben-Hoffmann, Johann von Haszlinger, Karl Ludwig Friedrich Hetsch, Gustav Jansen [not F. G. Jansen], Johann Christoph Kienlen, Bernhard Klein, Conradin Kreutzer, Fredric Joseph Kroll, Justus Amadeus Lecerf, Leopold Lenz, Johann Karl Gottfried Loewe, Carl Adolf Lorenz, Dr., Carl Theodor Moritz, Antoni Henryk Radziwill, Fürst, Franz Peter Schubert, Carl, Freiherr von Seckendorff, Louis [Ludwig] Spohr, Richard Wagner, Karl Friedrich Zelter, C. F. Zietzschmann. Go to the text.
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ralph Shapey (1921 - 2002), "Peace gone", 1995, published 1999 [soprano and piano], from Goethe Songs I, no. 4, Bryn Mawr, Pa: T. Presser
Settings in other languages:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), original text by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832) , no title, from Faust, Chapter 18 DUT NOR RUS ENG ITA FRE SPA GRE ENG by Bernhard Klein, Franz Aloys Theodor Commer, Friedrich Curschmann, Gustav Heinrich Graben-Hoffmann, Conradin Kreutzer, Johann Karl Gottfried Loewe, Franz Peter Schubert, Louis [Ludwig] Spohr, Richard Wagner, Karl Friedrich Zelter, Fredric Joseph Kroll, Johann von Haszlinger, Johann Christoph Kienlen, Justus Amadeus Lecerf, Leopold Lenz, Leopold Lenz, Fredric Joseph Kroll, C. T. Moritz, Antoni Henryk Radziwill, Fürst, Carl, Freiherr von Seckendorff, C. F. Zietzschmann, Max Joseph Beer, Gustav Jansen [not F. G. Jansen], Carl Adolf Lorenz, Dr., Karl Ludwig Friedrich Hetsch.
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), a translation by Luigi Balestra (1808 - 1863) , title unknown DUT NOR RUS ENG FRE SPA GRE ENG by Giuseppe Verdi.
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by `Eduard Ivanovich Guber (1814 - 1847) , title unknown DUT NOR ENG ITA FRE SPA GRE ENG by Mikhail Ivanovich Glinka.
- Also set in French (Français), adapted by by Hector Berlioz (1803 - 1869) , title unknown [an adaptation] DUT NOR RUS ENG ITA SPA GRE ENG and by Almire Gandonnière (1814 - ?) , title unknown [an adaptation] DUT NOR RUS ENG ITA SPA GRE ENG by Hector Berlioz, Hector Berlioz.
Text added to the website: 2015-03-21.
Last modified: 2015-03-21 19:49:22
Line count: 0
Word count: 0
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works