Language: German (Deutsch) after the Scottish (Scots)
Schlafe, süßer, kleiner Donald,
Ebenbild des großen Ronald!
Wer ihm kleinen Dieb gebar,
Weiß der edle Clan auf's Haar.
Schelm, hast Äuglein schwarz wie Kohlen!
Wenn du groß bist, stiehl ein Fohlen;
Geh' die Ebne ab und zu,
Bringe heim 'ne Carlisle Kuh!
Darfst im Niederland nicht fehlen;
Dort, mein Bübchen, magst du stehlen;
Stiehl dir Geld und stiehl dir Glück,
Und in's Hochland komm zurück!
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG
List of language codes
Confirmed with Robert Burns’ Gedichte deutsch von W. Gerhard, Leipzig: Verlag von Joh. Ambr. Barth, 1840, page 233
Submitted by Pilar Lirio and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Heinrich von Sahr (1821 - 1874), "Hochländisches Wiegenlied", op. 11 (Sechs Lieder für Alt mit Pianoforte) no. 4, published 1878 [alto and piano], Leipzig, Senff [ sung text not verified ]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Hochländisches Wiegenlied", op. 25 no. 14 (1840), published 1840 [voice and piano], from Myrten, no. 14, Leipzig, Kistner [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Marta Garcia Cadena) , "La cançó de bressol de la terra alta", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Hooglands wiegenlied", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Highland lullaby", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2003-11-19.
Last modified: 2016-01-13 12:09:49
Line count: 12
Word count: 67
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Sleep, sweet little Donald,
The image of the great Ronald!
The noble clan knows exactly
Who bore the little rascal for Ronald.
Little rogue, you have eyes as black as coals!
When you are grown up, steal a foal;
Go hither and thither on the plain,
Bring home a Carlisle cow!
You must not be absent from the lowlands;
There, my little lad, you may steal;
Steal money and steal happiness,
And return to the highlands!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2016-01-13.
Last modified: 2016-01-13 12:10:24
Line count: 12
Word count: 77