Berge in der Nacht
Language: German (Deutsch)
Der See ist erloschen,
Schwarz schläft das Ried,
Im Traume flüsternd.
Ungeheuer ins Land gedehnt
Drohen die hingestreckten Berge.
Sie ruhen nicht.
Sie atmen tief, und sie halten
Einer den andern an sich gedrückt.
Mit dumpfen Kräften beladen,
Unerlöst in verzehrender Leidenschaft.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 165.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Mountains in the night", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Montagne dans la nuit", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2009-05-06.
Last modified: 2018-08-08 13:14:51
Line count: 11
Word count: 44
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Mountains in the night
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
The lake has been extinguished,
The reeds sleep in blackness,
Whispering in a dream.
Stretching out hugely into the land,
The splaying mountains threaten.
They do not rest.
They breathe deeply, and they hold
One another closely and tightly.
Weighed down with leaden powers,
Unredeemed in consuming passion.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Berge in der Nacht", written 1905, appears in Unterwegs, first published 1911 FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Hermann Grabner. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2017-02-24.
Last modified: 2017-02-24 13:31:03
Line count: 11
Word count: 50