Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
"Weißt du noch", so frug die Eintagsfliege Abends, "wie ich auf der Stiege Damals dir den Käsekrümel stahl? " Mit der Abgeklärtheit eines Greises sprach der Fliegenmann: "Gewiß, ich weiß es! " Und er lächelte: "Es war einmal -" "Weißt du noch", so fragte weiter sie, "Wie ich damals unterm sechsten Knie Jene schwere Blutvergiftung hatte? " "Leider", sagte halbverträumt der Gatte. "Weißt du noch, wie ich, weil ich dir grollte, Fliegenleim-Selbstmord verüben wollte?? -Und wie ich das erste Ei gebar?? Weißt du noch, wie es halb sechs Uhr war?? -Und wie ich in Milch gefallen bin?? " Fliegenmann gab keine Antwort mehr, Summte leise, müde vor sich hin: "Lang, lang ist's her - lang -"
- by Hans Bötticher (1883 - 1934), as Joachim Ringelnatz, "Ein ganzes Leben", appears in 103 Gedichte, first published 1933 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Erich Zeisl (1905 - 1959), "Ein ganzes Leben", c1931 [soprano and piano], unpublished [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "An entire life", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
"Do you remember," thus in the evening Asked the mayfly, "how, upon the stairs Back then, I stole that crumb of cheese from you?" With the detachment of an aged one Her fly-husband spoke: "Indeed, I remember!" And he smiled: "That was a long time ago -" "Do you still remember," she continued, "That time when I had that terrible blood-poisoning Under my sixth knee?" "Unfortunately", said her spouse, half in a dream. "Do you remember how, because I was angry with you, I wanted to commit suicide upon the flypaper?? -And how I gave birth to our first egg?? Do you remember when it was half past five?? -And how I fell into the milk??" Fly-husband did not answer anymore, He hummed quietly, wearily to himself: "Long, long ago - long -"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hans Bötticher (1883 - 1934), as Joachim Ringelnatz, "Ein ganzes Leben", appears in 103 Gedichte, first published 1933