Language: German (Deutsch)
Aus dunkler Brandung gärend
Des Lebens bunter Braus
Und drüber immerwährend
Der Sterne hochgewölbtes Haus.
Mein Leben ist versunken,
Ich schweb am Weltenrand
Und atme tief und trunken
Der Feuerlüfte süßen Brand.
Und der ich kaum entronnen,
Des Lebens Zauberglut
Spült mich mit tausend Wonnen
Aufs neue in die große Flut.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 192-193.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Günter Raphael (1903 - 1960), "Symphonie", 1951 [high voice and piano], from Acht Gedichte von Hermann Hesse für hohe Stimme und Klavier, no. 8. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Günter Raphael (1903 - 1960), "Symphonie", op. 72 no. 8 (<<1957) [high voice and orchestra or piano], from Acht Gedichte von Hermann Hesse für hohe Stimme und Orchester, no. 8. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Felix Wolfes (1892 - 1971), "Symphonie", 1964. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Symphony", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Symphonie", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2007-06-02 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2018-08-01 18:14:33
Line count: 12
Word count: 51
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
From out the dark surf ferments
The colourful panoply of life
And above it everlastingly
The high vaulted house of the stars.
My life is sunken way,
I hover on the edge of the world
And breathe deeply and intoxicatedly
The sweet burning of the fiery winds.
And that from which I only just escaped,
The magical blaze of life,
With a thousand felicities
Washes me anew into the vast floodwaters.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Symphonie", written 1913 FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Günter Raphael, Felix Wolfes. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2017-11-24 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2017-11-24 11:12:01
Line count: 12
Word count: 71