Language: German (Deutsch)
Es ist immer derselbe Traum:
Ein rotblühender Kastanienbaum,
Ein Garten, voll von Sonnenflor,
Einsam ein altes Haus davor.
Dort, wo der stille Garten liegt,
Hat meine Mutter mich gewiegt;
Vielleicht - es ist so lange her -
Steht Garten, Haus und Baum nicht mehr.
Vielleicht geht jetzt ein Wiesenweg
Und Pflug und Egge drüber weg,
Von Heimat, Garten, Haus und Baum
Ist nichts geblieben als mein Traum.
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 108.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Oskar Baumann , "Traum", op. 310 (Hermann Hesse-Lieder, 3. Folge) no. 6 (1947). [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Friedrich Blankenburg , "Traum", 1948. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Werner Bühler (1904 - 1968), "Traum" [high voice and piano], from Lieder für eine höhere Singstimme nach Texten von Hermann Hesse, no. 19. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Géza Frid (1904 - 1989), "Traum", op. 59 no. 1, published 1960 [voice and piano], from Abschied, liederencyclus, no. 1. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karl Hoyer (1891 - 1936), "Traum", op. 27 (Drei Gesänge) no. 2, published 1932. [high voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Yrjö Henrik Kilpinen (1892 - 1959), "Traum", op. 97 no. 7 (1942+?), from Liederfolge nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 7. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Krause (1889 - ?), "Traum", op. 48 no. 8 [voice and piano], from Zwölf Gedichte von Hermann Hesse, no. 8. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Xaver Schlaud (1912 - 1967), "Traum", published 1951. [four-part men's chorus a cappella] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Johannes Schmiedel (b. 1921), "Traum", 1983. [voice and guitar] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Fried Walter (1907 - 1996), "Traum", 1977 [baritone or mezzo-soprano and piano], from Sechs Lieder aus dem Tessin durch die Jahreszeiten, no. 1. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Oskar Viktor Zack (1882 - 1963), "Traum", published 1927. [soprano and four-part men's chorus a cappella] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Johannes Zentner (b. 1903), "Traum", published 1954. [four-part mixed chorus a cappella] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Dream", subtitle: "(1901)", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2009-06-17.
Last modified: 2018-08-31 10:18:45
Line count: 12
Word count: 67
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
It is ever the same dream:
A chestnut tree with red blossoms,
A garden full of gauzy sunlight,
And solitary, an old house in the foreground.
There where the quiet garden lies,
My mother rocked me;
Perhaps - it is so long ago -
The garden, house, and tree are no longer standing.
Perhaps it is now traversed by a meadow path,
And plow and cultivator pass over it;
Of home, garden, house, and tree
Nothing remains but my dream.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Traum", subtitle: "(1901)", written 1901
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Oskar Baumann, Friedrich Blankenburg, Werner Bühler, Géza Frid, Karl Hoyer, Yrjö Henrik Kilpinen, Franz Krause, Franz Xaver Schlaud, Johannes Schmiedel, Fried Walter, Oskar Viktor Zack, Johannes Zentner. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2018-05-15.
Last modified: 2018-05-15 14:24:31
Line count: 12
Word count: 80