Ich wollt ich wär eine Blume
Language: German (Deutsch)
Ich wollt ich wär eine Blume,
Du kämest still gegangen,
Nähmst mich zum Eigentume
In deine Hand gefangen.
Auch wär ich gern ein roter Wein
Und flösse süß durch deinen Mund
Und ganz und gar in dich hinein
Und machte dich und mich gesund.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, page 277.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Laci Boldemann (1921 - 1969), "Liebeslied", op. 9 no. 2, published 1951. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Werner Bühler (1904 - 1968), "Liebeslied" [voice and piano], from Lieder für Gesang und Klavier nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 3. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hermann Christian Georg Erdlen (1893 - 1973), "Liebeslied", published 1959 [four-part men's chorus a cappella], from Sonne leuchte mir ins Herz - Drei Hermann-Hesse-Lieder, no. 2. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Erwin Hauff (1894 - 1960), "Liebeslied", 1955-7, published 1960. [voice and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Yrjö Henrik Kilpinen (1892 - 1959), "Liebeslied", op. 97 no. 1 (>>1942?), published 1958 [voice and piano], from Liederfolge nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 1. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Hans Nahme , "Liebeslied", 1949 [duet for soprano and baritone with piano], from Herbstkantate nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 5. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Liebeslied II", op. 12 no. 5 [medium voice and piano], from Zwölf volkstümliche Gesänge für mittlere Stimme nach Gedichten von Hermann Hesse, no. 5. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Eugen Störkle (b. 1907), "Liebeslied", op. 56 no. 1, published 1960. [four-part men's chorus a cappella] [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Xaver Zintl (1903 - 1987), "Liebeslied", 1950. [tenor and piano] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2009-05-05 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2018-09-01 17:15:54
Line count: 8
Word count: 44
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
I wish I were a flower
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
I wish I were a flower,
You would come quietly walking past
And would take me into your possession,
Imprisoned in your hand.
I would also gladly be a red wine
And would flow sweetly through your mouth
And utterly and completely into you
And would heal you and myself.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Liebeslied" = "Love song"
"Liebeslied II" = "Love song II"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Liebeslied", subtitle: "(Mai 1922)", written 1922 FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Laci Boldemann, Werner Bühler, Hermann Christian Georg Erdlen, Erwin Hauff, Yrjö Henrik Kilpinen, Hans Nahme, Immo Schneider, Eugen Störkle, Franz Xaver Zintl. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2018-10-08 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2018-10-08 05:03:51
Line count: 8
Word count: 50