Language: French (Français)
La nuit descend du haut des cieux,
Le givre au toit suspend ses franges.
Et, dans les airs, le vol des anges
Éveille un bruit mystérieux.
L'étoile qui guidait les mages,
S'arrête enfin dans les nuages,
Et fait briller un nimbe d'or
Sur la chaumiére où Jésus dort.
Alors, ouvrant ses yeux divins,
L'enfant couché, dans l'humble crèche,
De son berceau de paille fraîche,
Sourit aux nobles pélérins.
Eux, s'inclinant, lui disent: Sire,
Reçois l'encens, l'or et la myrrhe,
Et laisse-nous, ô doux Jésus,
Baiser le bout de tes pieds nus.
Comme eux, ô peuple, incline-toi,
Imite leur pieux exemple,
Car cette étable, c'est un temple,
Et cet enfant sera ton roi!
Translation(s): ENG ENG
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (M. Ryan Taylor) , "Noel", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Garrett Medlock) , "Noel", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:56
Line count: 20
Word count: 112
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the French (Français)
The night descends from the height of the skies,
The frost on the roof suspends its fringes.
And, in the air, the flight of the angels
Awakes a mysterious noise.
The star which guided the magi
Halts at last in the clouds
And shines a golden nimbus
On the cottage where Jesus sleeps.
Then, opening his divine eyes,
The child lying in the humble crib,
A cradle of fresh straw,
Smiles to the noble pilgrims.
Bowing, they say to him: Lord,
Receive this incense, gold, and myrrh,
And let us, oh gentle Jesus,
Kiss the bottom of your feet.
Like them, oh people, bow yourselves,
Follow their pious example,
Because this stable is a temple,
And this child will be your king!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2018 by Garrett Medlock, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in French (Français) by Victor Wilder (1835 - 1892)
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Gabriel Fauré. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2018-12-05.
Last modified: 2018-12-05 15:19:22
Line count: 20
Word count: 122