Der Wein der Liebenden
Language: German (Deutsch) after the French (Français)
Prächtig ist heute die weite ·
Stränge und sporen beiseite ·
Reiten wir auf dem wein
In den feeenhimmel hinein!
Engel für ewige dauer
Leidend im fieberschauer ·
Durch des morgens blauen kristall
Fort in das leuchtende all!
Wir lehnen uns weich auf den flügel
Des windes der eilt ohne zügel.
Beide voll gleicher lust
Lass schwester uns brust an brust
Fliehn ohne rast und stand
In meiner träume land!
Translation(s): ENG ITA
List of language codes
Confirmed with Stefan George, Die Blumen des Bösen, a translation of Charles Baudelaire's Les Fleurs du Mal, Berlin, Bondi, 1901, page 151.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Virginia Knight
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "Der Wein der Liebenden", 1929, from Der Wein, no. 2. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Gerhard Frommel (1906 - 1984), "Der Wein der Liebenden", op. 16 no. 4 (1942), published 1942 [voice and piano], from Vier Lieder, no. 4, Heidelberg, Süddeutscher Musikverlag [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Garrett Medlock) , "The lovers' wine", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Il vino degli amanti", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2004-01-21.
Last modified: 2017-05-04 19:13:01
Line count: 14
Word count: 70
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
The lovers' wine
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Splendid is today the expanse,
(Strands and spores aside)
We ride on wine
Into the fairy’s heaven!
Angel for all time
Suffering from fever-chills
Through the morning’s blue crystal
Gone in the shining universe!
We lean softly on the wing
Of the wind which hurries without restraint.
Both full of the same desire
Let us sister breasts
Fly without rest or standing
Into the land of my dreams!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Garrett Medlock, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Stefan George (1868 - 1933), "Der Wein der Liebenden" GER ITA GER GER
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Alban Maria Johannes Berg, Gerhard Frommel. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2019-01-08.
Last modified: 2019-01-08 18:23:50
Line count: 14
Word count: 68