Language: German (Deutsch)
[Harrt ein Fischer]1 auf der Brücke
Die Geliebte säumt,
Schmollend taucht er seine Blicke
In den Bach - und träumt.
Doch die lauscht im nahen Flieder,
Und ihr Bildchen strahlt
Jetzt aus klaren Wellen [wieder]2,
Treuer nie gemahlt.
[Und der Fischer kennt die Bänder,]3
Kennt den süssen Schein:
Und er hält sich am Geländer
Sonst - zieht's ihn hinein!
Translation(s): CAT DUT FRE ITA
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Dichtungen vom Freyherrn Franz von Schlechta. Erster Band. Wien, 1824. Im v. Hirschfeld'schen Verlage, page 90.
Note: This is the second version of Schlechta's poem, published 1824 in his collected poems. When Schubert created his second version of Widerschein in 1828, he received a modified text from Schlechta, based on this text, but with a different first line, which Schlechta kept in his third and substantially modified version, published in 1876. For the first and the third version of Schlechta's text see below.
1 Schubert: "Tom lehnt harrend"
2 Schubert: "wider"
3 Schubert: "Und er sieht's! Und er kennt die Bänder,"; and in the repeat: "der Fischer"
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Widerschein", D. 949 (1828), published 1832 [voice, piano], A.Diabelli & Co., VN 4015, Wien (Nachlaß-Lieferung 15). note: D. 949 has been removed and included as the second version in D. 639 [ sung text verified 1 time]
Set in a modified version by Franz Peter Schubert.
Another version of this text exists in the database.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Reflex", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Weerschijn", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Reflets", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Paolo Pupillo) (Claretta Manara) , "Riflessi", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-09-05 11:34:14
Line count: 12
Word count: 59
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works