Language: German (Deutsch)
Ich treibe auf des Lebens Meer,
Ich sitze gemuth in meinem Kahn,
Nicht Ziel, noch Steuer hin und her,
Wie die Strömung reißt, wie die Winde gahn.
Eine selige Insel sucht der Wahn,
Doch eine ist es nicht.
Du lande gläubig überall an,
Wo sich Wasser an Erde bricht.
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG FIN FRE SPA
List of language codes
Note: Schubert received Senn's poem in handwritten form. Senn did not publish it in any printed edition.
Submitted by Richard Morris and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Món benaurat", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Zalige wereld", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Blessed world", copyright © 2016
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Aleksi Reunanen) , "Autuas maailma", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Monde béni", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Lewis Grenville) , "Mundo feliz", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2017-10-11 08:23:19
Line count: 8
Word count: 49
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
I float upon the ocean of life,
I sit happily in my boat,
With neither destination nor rudder, [going] here and there
As the current flows, as the winds blow.
Folly seeks the blessed island,
But there isn't one.
You will disembark anywhere with full trust,
Wherever water breaks on land.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2016 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- http://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2016-09-29.
Last modified: 2017-06-06 16:21:36
Line count: 8
Word count: 51