Language: German (Deutsch)
Nun ist die Jugend schon verschäumt
Und ohne Wiederkehr versunken,
Ein Teil versonnen und verträumt,
Ein Teil verbummelt und vertrunken.
Und die doch kaum mein eigen war,
Die Welt der Lieder und der Sterne,
Ward über Nacht mir wunderbar
Zu Heimweh, Traum und blauer Ferne.
List of language codes
Confirmed with Hermann Hesse, Sämtliche Werke, herausgegeben von Volker Michels, Band 10 Die Gedichte, bearbeitet von Peter Huber, Frankfurt am Main: Suhrkamp Verlag, 2002, pages 75-76.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator] and Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Sándor Jemnitz (1890 - 1963), "Wende", op. 15 (Elf Lieder) no. 9, published 1922 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Wende ", op. 42a no. 12 (1977) [medium voice and piano], from Stufen - Hesse-Lieder 1977 für mittlere Singstimme, no. 12 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Alfred Toepler (1888 - 1969), "Wende ", published 1958 [four-part men's chorus a cappella], from Fünf Sprüche für Männerchor a cappella, no. 4 [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , subtitle: "(1901)", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2009-05-15 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2019-04-13 12:08:09
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Now youth has already disappeared like...
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Now youth has already disappeared like foam
And passed away without [the hope of] returning,
A portion passed pensively and dreamily,
A portion was dawdled away and passed in carousing.
And [the world] that was only just my own,
The world of songs and stars --
Wondrously, overnight, it turned for me
To homesickness, dream and blue distance.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
About the headline (FAQ)
Translations of title(s):
"Wende" = "Reversal"
"Wende " = "Reversal"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962), "Wende", subtitle: "(1901)", written 1901
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Sándor Jemnitz, Immo Schneider, Alfred Toepler. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2019-05-01 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2019-05-01 09:55:17
Line count: 8
Word count: 57