Licht in der Nacht
Language: German (Deutsch)
Ringsum dunkle Nacht, hüllt in Schwarz mich ein,
zage flimmert gelb fern her ein Stern!
Ist mir wie ein Trost, eine Stimme still,
die dein Herz aufruft, das verzagen will.
Kleines gelbes Licht, bist mir wie der Stern
überm Hause einst Jesu Christ, des Herrn
und da löscht es aus. Und die Nacht wird schwer!
Schlafe Herz. Schlafe Herz. Du hörst keine Stimme mehr.
Translation(s): ENG FRE FRE
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Heinrich, Freiherr von Bach (1835 - 1915), as Heinrich Molbe, "Licht in der Nacht", op. 105 (Sechs Lieder von Otto Julius Bierbaum für eine Singstimme mit Klavierbegleitung) no. 4, published 1903 [voice and piano], Wien, Rudolf C. Lindner & Rörich [
text not verified ]
- by Alma Mahler (1879 - 1964), "Licht in der Nacht", published 1915 [voice and piano], from Vier Lieder, no. 1. [
text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Elisabeth Siekhaus) , title 1: "Light in the night", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Lumière dans la nuit", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Lumière dans la nuit", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:21
Line count: 8
Word count: 64
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Light in the night
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Dark night all around, enveloping me in black,
Timidly a star flickers yellow from afar!
It's to me like a comfort, a quiet voice,
Which calls on your heart that wants to give up.
Little yellow light, you are like a star to me
Above the house of Jesus Christ the Lord, once,
And there it goes out! Und the night turns heavy!
Sleep, my heart! You hear no voice any more!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2007 by Elisabeth Siekhaus, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2007-10-15.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:29
Line count: 8
Word count: 72