War schöner als der schönste Tag
Language: German (Deutsch)
War schöner als der schönste Tag,
Drum muß man mir verzeihen,
Daß ich sie nicht vergessen mag,
Am wenigsten im Freien.
Im Garten war's, sie trat heran,
Mir ihre Gunst zu zeigen;
Das fühl ich noch und denke dran
Und bleib ihr ganz zu eigen.
Translation(s): ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Poetische Werke, Band 2, Berlin, 1960, page 106.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Albert Hermann Dietrich (1829 - 1908), "War schöner, als der schönste Tag", op. 12 (Fünf Lieder von Goethe) no. 3, published 1861 [voice and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Johann Karl Gottfried Loewe (1796 - 1869), "Canzonette", 1835, published 1836 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Adolph Bernhard Marx (1795 - 1866), "Aus Chinesich-deutsche Jahres- und Tageszeiten", op. 2 no. 10, published 1830 [voice and piano], from Zwölf Gesänge, no. 10, Leipzig: Breitkopf & Härtel [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Wendelin Weißheimer (1838 - 1910), "Sie" [voice and piano] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (J. Lee Riccardi) , "Song from Faust", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Elle était plus belle que le jour le plus beau", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Canzonetta", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2019-05-26 15:24:26
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Song from Faust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
She was prettier than the prettiest day,
and so one has to forgive me,
because I cannot forget her,
She came into the garden
to show her kindness;
I feel it still and think of it
and remain totally hers.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2007 by J. Lee Riccardi, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2007-11-07 00:00:00.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:29
Line count: 8
Word count: 42