Kind! Es wäre dein Verderben
Language: German (Deutsch)
Kind! Es wäre dein Verderben,
Und ich geb' mir selber Mühe,
Daß dein liebes Herz [in Liebe]1
Nimmermehr [für mich]2 erglühe.
Nur daß mir's so leicht gelinget,
[Will]3 mich dennoch fast betrüben,
Und ich denke [manchmal dennoch]4:
Möchtest du mich dennoch lieben!
Translation(s): ENG ENG ENG FRE
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
1 White: "für mich"
2 White: "in Lieb"
3 White: "will's"
4 White: "dennoch manchmal"
Submitted by Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Boleslav Viktorovich Grodzky (b. 1865), "Kind! Es wäre dein Verderben" [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by (Isador) George Henschel (1850 - 1934), "Kind! Es wäre dein Verderben", op. 37 (Vier Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung) no. 4, published 1885 [voice and piano], Hamburg, Rahter [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Korstiaan Stougie (1908 - 1988), "Kind", op. 1 no. 68 (1936), published 1972. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Johann Vesque von Püttlingen (1803 - 1883), "Kind! Es wäre dein Verderben", published 1851, from Die Heimkehr : 88 Gedichte aus H. Heine's Reisebildern, no. 48. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Maude Valérie White (1855 - 1937), "Kind! Es wäre dein Verderben", published 1888? [voice and piano], from New Albums of Songs with German and English Words, Volume 1, no. 5, London: Pitt & Hatzfeld, also set in English [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Maude Valérie White (1855 - 1937) , "Child it were thine utter ruin" FRE by Maude Valérie White.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (Charles Godfrey Leland) , no title, appears in The works of Heinrich Heine, Volume II, London: William Heinemann, page 35, first published 1891
- ENG English (Emma Lazarus) , appears in Poems and Ballads of Heinrich Heine, first published 1881
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2008-02-24.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:37
Line count: 8
Word count: 42
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works