Du bist vom Schlaf erstanden
Language: German (Deutsch)
Du bist vom Schlaf erstanden
Und wandelst durch die Au.
Da liegt ob allen Landen
Der Himmel wunderblau.
[So lang du ohne Sorgen
Der Himmel bis zum Morgen
Viel Tränen niedergoß.
In stillen Nächten weinet
Oft mancher aus dem Schmerz,
Und morgens dann [ihr]2 meinet,
Stets fröhlich sei sein Herz.
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG ENG FRE ITA NOR
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
1 Triest: "Weißt nicht, daß, als ohn' Sorgen / Du
2 Triest: "man"
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by C. W. Fliegel , "Stille Thränen", op. 6 (Acht Lieder für eine Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 4, published 1854 [voice and piano], Berlin, Bahn [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Robert von Hornstein (1833 - 1890), "Stille Thränen", op. 49 (Sopranlieder) no. 1, published 1882 [soprano and piano], Stuttgart, Kröner [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by (Christian) Immo Schneider (b. 1935), "Stille Tränen", 1984, unpublished [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Stille Tränen", op. 35 no. 10 (1840), published 1841 [voice and piano], from Zwölf Gedichte von Justinus Kerner, no. 10, Leipzig, Klemm [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Carl Theodor Seiffert (1803 - 1885), "Stille Thränen", op. 5 (Lieder und Gesänge für Mezzo-Sopran oder Bariton) no. 5, published 1837 [mezzo-soprano or baritone and piano], Leipzig, Whistling [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Heinrich Triest (1808 - 1885), "Du bist vom Schlaf erstanden", op. 5 (Fünf Gesänge) no. 2. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Maude Valérie White (1855 - 1937), "Stille Träne", published 1885 [voice and piano], from Album of German Songs (later published as Sixteen German Songs), no. 12, London: Stanley Lucas, Weber & Col.; also reprinted by Recital Publications (Texas) in 1995, also set in English [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Alexander Winterberger (1834 - 1914), "Stille Thränen", op. 91 (Dreissig Lieder und Gesänge) no. 17, published 1885 [medium voice and piano], Leipzig, Schuberth & Co. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Llàgrimes silencioses", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Silent tears", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Larmes silencieuses", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Lacrime silenziose", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , "Stille tårer", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:36
Line count: 12
Word count: 52
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: Norwegian (Bokmål) after the German (Deutsch)
Du har stått opp av søvnen
og vandrer gjennom engen.
Der strekker seg over alle land
Himmelen seg vidunderlig blå.
Så lenge du -- uten sorger --
har slumret uten smerter,
har himmelen helt til morgenen
skjenket mange tårer.
I stille netter gråter
ofte mang en av smerte,
og så om morgenen tror dere
at deres hjerte alltid er lykkelig.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Norwegian (Bokmål) copyright © 2008 by Marianne Beate Kielland, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Justinus (Andreas Christian) Kerner (1786 - 1862), "Stille Tränen" CAT DUT ENG ENG FRE ITA
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): C. W. Fliegel, Robert von Hornstein, Immo Schneider, Robert Schumann, Carl Theodor Seiffert, Heinrich Triest, Maude Valérie White, Alexander Winterberger. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2008-03-19.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:39
Line count: 12
Word count: 58