Language: German (Deutsch)
Ans Haff nun fliegt die Möwe,
Und Dämmerung bricht herein;
Über die feuchten Watten
Spiegelt der Abendschein.
Graues Geflügel huschet
Neben dem Wasser her;
Wie Träume liegen die Inseln
Im Nebel auf dem Meer.
Ich höre des gärenden Schlammes
Einsames Vogelrufen -
So war es immer schon.
Noch einmal schauert leise
Und schweiget dann der Wind;
Vernehmlich werden die Stimmen,
Die über der Tiefe sind.
Translation(s): ENG FRE
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hans Christian Détlefsen (b. 1951), "Meeresstrand", from Fünf Gedichte von Theodor Storm, no. 1. [
text not verified ]
- by Friedrich Friedrichs , "Meeresstrand", op. 2 (Fünf Lieder für 1 mittlere Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 4, published 1898 [medium voice and piano], Leipzig, Schuberth jun. [
text not verified ]
- by Bertold Hummel (1925 - 2002), "Meeresstrand", op. 71b no. 3, from Zehn Lieder nach Gedichten von Theodor Storm, no. 3. [
text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (Walter A. Aue) , title 1: "Seashore", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Bord de mer", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2004-04-01.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:04
Line count: 16
Word count: 67
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Toward ponds now fly the seagulls
and twilight sets the sight;
above the muddy shallows
abides the evening light.
The hoary water-fowl scurry
along the water's seam;
the islands on the ocean
lie misty in a dream.
I hear mysterious sonance
of slowly fermenting morass,
a lonely bird is calling -
forever it was thus.
A final, quiet quiver,
then goes the wind to sleep,
and clear become the voices
that hover o'er the deep.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Walter A. Aue, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Walter A. Aue. Contact:
<waue (AT) dal (DOT) ca>
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Theodor Storm (1817 - 1888), "Meeresstrand" FRE
- This text was set to music by the following composer(s): Hans Christian Détlefsen, Friedrich Friedrichs, Bertold Hummel. Go to the text.
Text added to the website: 2008-06-01.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:43
Line count: 16
Word count: 75