Language: German (Deutsch)
An dem österlichen Tag
Maria Magdalena ging zu dem Grab;
was fand sie in dem Grabe stehn?
Einen Engel wohlgetan.
Der Engel grüsst sie in der Zeit:
"Den da suchet das vielselige Weib,
er ist erstanden von dem Tod,
den du salben wolltest".
"Maria!" ruft er ihr zu hant,
da erkennt sie ihren Heiland,
sie sah in aller der Gebärde,
sann er ein Wärter wäre.
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE ITA
List of language codes
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Giovanni Duci) , title 1: "Maddalena", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Linda Godry) , title 1: "Magdalene", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Madeleine", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Magdalena", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-12-23 23:58:42
Line count: 12
Word count: 65
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
On easter day
Mary Magdalene visited the grave;
What did she find there by the side?
A beautiful angel.
The angel addressed her:
The one you seek, blessed woman,
to annoint him with spices,
he was resurrected from death.
As he calls her by her name "Mary!",
she recognises him for her saviour,
and now by his gestures too
she knows he is not a guardian.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2009 by Linda Godry, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2009-07-26.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:18
Line count: 12
Word count: 66