Vöglein in den sonn'gen Tagen
Language: German (Deutsch)
Vöglein in den sonn'gen Tagen,
Lüfte blau, die mich verführen!
Könnt ich bunte Flügel rühren,
Über Berg und Wald sie schlagen.
Ach! es spricht des Frühlings Schöne,
Und die [Vögel]1 alle singen:
Sind [die Farben denn nicht]2 Töne,
Und die Töne bunte Schwingen?
Vöglein, ja, ich laß das Zagen!
Winde sanft die Segel rühren,
Und ich lasse mich entführen,
Ach! wohin? mag ich nicht fragen.
Translation(s): DUT ENG FRE
List of language codes
About the headline (FAQ)
View original text (without footnotes)
1 Mendelssohn-Hensel: "Vöglein"
2 Mendelssohn-Hensel: "denn nicht die Farben"
Submitted by Emily Ezust
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Stephan Baekers , "Anklänge I", 1979, from Fünf Eichendorff-Lieder, no. 1. [ sung text not verified ]
- by E. Breiderhoff , "Sehnsucht", op. 1 (Fünf Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung) no. 5, published 1895 [voice and piano], Berlin, Ries & Erler [ sung text not verified ]
- by Fanny Mendelssohn-Hensel (1805 - 1847), "Anklänge I", 1841. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Aural Allusions I", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:27
Line count: 12
Word count: 65
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Aural Allusions I
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
Little birds in the sunny days,
Blue skies that seduce me!
If I could only wield colourful wings,
And beat them over mountain and forest.
Ah! The beauty of spring speaks,
And all the birds are singing:
["]Are not the colours [musical] sounds,
And the [musical] sounds colourful wings?["]
Birds, yes, I will cease my hesitating!
Winds are softly stirring the sails,
And I let myself be carried off,
Ah! Whither? I do not wish to ask.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2010 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2010-03-24.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:37
Line count: 12
Word count: 77