Sanctus, sanctus, sanctus,
Domine Deus Sabaoth.
Pleni sunt coeli et terra gloria tua.
[Hosanna in excelsis!]1
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG FRE
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
1 omitted by Howells.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by Herbert Norman Howells (1892 - 1983), "Sanctus - I will lift up mine eyes", 1936-8, published 1951, first performed 1950 [soprano, tenor, mixed chorus, and orchestra], from Hymnus Paradisi, no. 4.
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "Sanctus / Benedictus", from the oratorio Missa Brevis in D, no. 3.
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "Sanctus", op. 66 no. 4, published 1961 [soprano, tenor, baritone, satb chorus, boys' chorus, orchestra, chamber orchestra, organ], from War Requiem, no. 4.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Lau Kanen) , "Heilig, heilig, heilig"
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Holy", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Sanctus", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2011-06-25.
Last modified: 2014-09-17 23:07:02
Line count: 4
Word count: 16
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Browse imslp.org (Petrucci Music Library) for Lieder or choral works