Sanctus, sanctus, sanctus,
Domine Deus Sabaoth.
Pleni sunt coeli et terra gloria tua.
[Hosanna in excelsis!]1
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG FRE
List of language codes
View original text (without footnotes)
1 omitted by Howells.
Submitted by Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by Herbert Norman Howells (1892 - 1983), "Sanctus - I will lift up mine eyes", 1936-8, published 1951, first performed 1950 [soprano, tenor, mixed chorus, and orchestra], from Hymnus Paradisi, no. 4.
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "Sanctus / Benedictus", from the oratorio Missa Brevis in D, no. 3.
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "Sanctus", op. 66 no. 4, published 1961 [soprano, tenor, baritone, satb chorus, boys' chorus, orchestra, chamber orchestra, organ], from War Requiem, no. 4.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Lau Kanen) , "Heilig, heilig, heilig"
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Holy", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Sanctus", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website: 2011-06-25.
Last modified: 2014-09-17 23:07:02
Line count: 4
Word count: 16
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the Latin
Holy, holy, holy,
Lord God of the the Sabaoth.
Heaven and earth are full of your glory.
Hosanna in the highest!
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Translation from Latin to English copyright © 2016 by Laura Prichard, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2016-05-19.
Last modified: 2016-05-19 17:02:52
Line count: 4
Word count: 21