Language: German (Deutsch)
Ein Licht tanzt freundlich vor mir her;
Ich folg' ihm nach die Kreuz und Quer;
Ich folg' ihm gern, und seh's ihm an,
Daß es verlockt den Wandersmann.
Ach, wer wie ich so elend ist,
Giebt gern sich hin der bunten List,
Die hinter Eis und Nacht und Graus
Ihm weist ein helles, warmes Haus,
Und eine liebe Seele drin -
Nur Täuschung ist für mich Gewinn!
Translation(s): CAT DUT ENG ENG FIN FRE FRI HEB ITA KOR SPA
List of language codes
Confirmed with Gedichte aus den hinterlassenen Papieren eines reisenden Waldhornisten. Herausgegeben von Wilhelm Müller. Zweites Bändchen. Deßau 1824. Bei Christian Georg Ackermann, page 96.
Submitted by Ofer Sheinberg and Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Reiner Bredemeyer (1929 - 1995), "Täuschung", 1984, first performed 1985 [baritone, horn, and piano], from Die Winterreise, no. 15, VEB Deutscher Verlag [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Täuschung", op. 89 no. 19, D. 911 no. 19 (1827), published 1828 [voice and piano], from Winterreise, no. 19, Haslinger [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Johannes (Hans) Wolfgang Zender (b. 1936), "Täuschung", 1993 [tenor and small orchestra], from Schuberts Winterreise, no. 19. [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Miratge", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Begoocheling", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Arthur Rishi) , "Deception", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English [singable] (David Paley) , "Delusion", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , "Kangastus", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Illusion", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRI Frisian [singable] (Pieter Wiersma) , "Mislieding", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- HEB Hebrew (עברית) (Max Mader) , "הזיה", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Illusione", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- KOR Korean (한국어/조선말) [singable] (곽명규 Myung-Kew Kwack) , "환상", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Saúl Botero Restrepo) , "Ilusión", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2018-02-07 11:17:57
Line count: 10
Word count: 67
This website began in 1995 as a personal project, and I have been working
on it full-time without a salary since 2008. Our research has
never had any government or institutional funding, so if you
the information here useful, please consider making a donation. Your gift is greatly appreciated.
- Emily Ezust
Language: English after the German (Deutsch)
A light in friendship dances here;
I like to follow everywhere
I like to chase and look at it
And be enticed and led astray.
Ah, who like me so wretched is,
Surrenders to the slyest art,
That, far from ice and night and scares,
Shows him the brightest, warmest house
And there a loving soul within --
Delusion is for me reward.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The material directly above is protected by copyright and appears here by special permission. If you wish to copy it and distribute it, you must obtain permission or you will be breaking the law. Once you have permission, you must give credit to the author and display the copyright symbol ©. Copyright infringement is a criminal offense under international law.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by David Paley, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., please ask the copyright-holder(s) directly.
David Paley. Contact:
<davidpaley (AT) btinternet (DOT) com>
If the copyright-holder(s) are unreachable for three business days, please write to:
(licenses at lieder dot net)
Text added to the website: 2011-10-28.
Last modified: 2018-02-07 11:19:32
Line count: 10
Word count: 62