Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Given in marriage unto Thee Oh thou celestial host, Bride of the Father and the Son Bride of the Holy Ghost. Other betrothal shall dissolve Wedlock of will, decay, Only the keeper of this ring conquer mortality.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886), no title [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gloria Coates (b. 1938), "Bride of the Holy Ghost", from 15 Songs on Poems by Emily Dickinson, no. 8. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:26
Line count: 8
Word count: 37
Dir durch die Ehe anvertraut, Herr der Himmelswelt, des Vaters und des Sohnes Braut vom Heil’gen Geist erwählt. Irdisch Verlöbnis wird gelöst, verfallen, die gefreit, Einzig wer diesen Eh’ring trägt, bezwingt die Sterblichkeit.
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Bride of the Holy Ghost" = "Braut des Heiligen Geistes"
- Translation from English to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2016 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
Text added to the website: 2016-11-28 00:00:00
Last modified: 2016-11-28 16:11:42
Line count: 8
Word count: 33