Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Sure on this shining night Of starmade shadows round, Kindness must watch for me This side the ground. The late year lies down the north. All is healed, all is health. High summer holds the earth. Hearts all whole. Sure on this shining night I weep for wonder wandering far alone Of shadows on the stars.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by James Agee (1909 - 1955), "Description of Elysium", appears in Permit Me Voyage, stanzas 6-8, first published 1934 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Samuel Barber (1910 - 1981), "Sure on this shining night", op. 13 (Four songs for voice and piano) no. 3 (1938), published 1961 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Morten Lauridsen (b. 1943), "Sure on this shining night" [ SATB chorus and piano ], from Nocturnes, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- SPA Spanish (Español) (José Miguel Llata) , "Sin duda en esta brillante noche", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ted Perry
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 56
Sin duda en esta brillante noche de estrellas, sombras alrededor, la bondad debe observarme desde este lado de la tierra. El último año reposa en el norte. Todo está sanado, todo es salud. El pleno verano abraza la tierra, los corazones todos. Sin duda, en esta brillante noche lloro maravillado, paseando a solas lejos de las sombras en las estrellas.
- Translation from English to Spanish (Español) copyright © 2020 by José Miguel Llata, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by James Agee (1909 - 1955), "Description of Elysium", appears in Permit Me Voyage, stanzas 6-8, first published 1934
This text was added to the website: 2020-10-05
Line count: 12
Word count: 60