Almen se non poss'io seguir l'amato bene, affetti del cor mio, seguitelo per me. Già sempre a lui vicino raccolti amor vi tiene e insolito cammino questo per voi non è.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in La Clemenza di Tito [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Vincenzo Bellini (1801 - 1835), "Almen se non poss'io", from Sei Ariette, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Niccolò Jommelli (1714 - 1774), "Almen se non poss'io", 1753, first performed 1753 [ strings, 2 flutes or recorders, soprano voice, and continuo ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (John Glenn Paton) , "At least, if I am not able", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Wenn ich schon meinem Geliebten", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 31