Thank you for visiting!
If you haven't already, please consider donating.
Visitor donations keep us online and growing!
Almen se non poss'io seguir l'amato bene, affetti del cor mio, seguitelo per me. Già sempre a lui vicino raccolti amor vi tiene e insolito cammino questo per voi non è.
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, appears in La Clemenza di Tito [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Vincenzo Bellini (1801 - 1835), "Almen se non poss'io", from Sei Ariette, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Niccolò Jommelli (1714 - 1774), "Almen se non poss'io", 1753, first performed 1753 [ strings, 2 flutes or recorders, soprano voice, and continuo ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (John Glenn Paton) , "At least, if I am not able", copyright © 2004, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Wenn ich schon meinem Geliebten", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 31