Hide and seek, says the Wind, In the shade of the woods; Hide and seek, says the Moon, To the hazel buds; Hide and seek, says the Cloud, Star on to star; Hide and seek, says the Wave, At the harbour bar; Hide and seek, say I, To myself, and step Out of the dream of Wake Into the dream of Sleep.
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada and the U.S., but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.Confirmed with Peacock Pie. A Book of Rhymes by Walter de la Mare, London: Constable & Co. Ltd., , page 35.
- by Walter De la Mare (1873 - 1956), "Hide and seek", appears in Peacock Pie: A Book of Rhymes, in 1. Up and Down, no. 19, first published 1913 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "Hide and seek", 2006 [ medium-high voice, piano ], from Pieces of Peacock Pie, no. 7 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by James Brown , "Hide and seek" [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by John Emeléus , "Hide and seek", published 1960 [ girls' chorus and piano ], from The Huntsmen [sung text not yet checked]
- by Cecil Armstrong Gibbs (1889 - 1960), "Hide and seek", 1932, published 1933 [ voice and piano ], from Five Children's Songs From Peacock Pie, no. 4 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Howard D. McKinney (b. 1890), "Hide and seek", published <<1940, from Four Crumbs from "A Peacock Pie" [sung text not yet checked]
- by Anthony Francis Dominic Milner (b. 1925), "Hide and seek", published 1959 [ SSA chorus a cappella ], from Peacock Pie [sung text not yet checked]
- by Edwin C. Rose , "Hide and seek", published 1962 [ women's chorus or children's chorus in unison and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2007-04-25
Line count: 12
Word count: 62